2 cups Italian Shortbread, bashed
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 teapoon cinnamon
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
21 oz canned cherry pie filling
1 1/2 cups whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 175 C degrees.
2. Bash shortbread with a can and add to a mixing bowl.
3. Add sugar and mix well.
4. Add butter and using a pastry blender or a fork, blend butter until incorporated with the bashed shortbread. Mix with cinnamon.
5. Prepare springform pan by spraying with a vegetable spray or rub inside with some butter to coat.
6. Press the crushed mixture onto the bottom of the springform pan.
7. In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla extract and flour and using an electric mixer, beat until smooth.
8. Pour mixture over the base crust.
9. Bake in preheated 175 C oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
10. To test for doneness, insert a knife or large toothpick in center and if it comes out clean, then the filling is set and cooked.
11. Remove from oven and let cool.
12. Spread cherry pie filling over top.
13. Spread whipped topping over cherries.
14. Chill for 1/2 hour before serving.
* 1 cup of dark chocolate chips folded into the mixture after step 7. Omit the cherry topping and whipped cream.